Scott and I told our family and close friends of the pregnancy right away. The next thing I did was called my doctor and scheduled our first appointment. We were so happy! One day when I was about 4 weeks, I noticed that I was spotting. This can be normal with it being so early in the pregnancy, but I decided to go to the doctor to get it checked out (just to be sure). It was Monday of that week when I went to the doctor. Everything looked ok, but the doctor wanted to do blood work to be sure that my hormone levels were increasing like they should. She also did an ultrasound. It was too early to actually see the baby, but all looked good. On Wednesday, I went back to get more blood work done. My first set of blood work looked good, but they just wanted to be sure that all was well. Friday, I was scheduled for another ultrasound to see if the baby had developed enough to see. The doctor told me that the baby still wasn't showing up and that she didn't feel good about the pregnancy. I was crushed. My doctor wasn't in the office that day, so the doctor I saw said that she would like for my own doctor to confirm the status of the pregnancy.
Scott and I had to go the whole weekend with this on our hearts and minds. We prayed and just tried to keep busy to keep our minds off of it. It was the longest weekend ever. My doctor called me Monday afternoon to schedule an appointment for the following Wednesday. Ugh! More waiting. Well, Wednesday finally came. My doctor did the ultrasound, and we saw a "flicker." She tells us to go upstairs to the radiology department to get confirmation on what the flicker is. So we do just that. The radiologist squeezes the gel on my stomach, gets to moving the probe around, and VOILA! To our surprise, we see our baby for the first time. We are both in shock. The flicker we were seeing was the baby's heartbeat. It was beating strong. We just couldn't believe it. We were prepared to get bad news, but we got confirmation that our baby was growing and healthy.
We went back downstairs to the doctor's office with big Kool-Aid smiles on. My doctor gives me a great big hug and congratulates us both. We schedule our next appt and go home feeling overjoyed and blessed.
A nice part 2 of the "Dismute Chronicles". I hope all is going well for you all. I've kept you in my prayers.
ReplyDeleteBe encouraged...